Monday, February 19, 2007

Cash Only

For the most part, I am enjoying our move here and the exploration of a new city and a new type of living.

However, there is one thing that is REALLY making it hard for me to adapt.

It is the fact that many restaurants and stores don't take credit cards. "What?", you may ask. "Are you living in some type of cultural backwater? Even Bob's Deli in Cleveland Texas took credit cards. Are you saying that Bob's Deli was more advanced than some stores in New York and New Jersey?"

Yes! That is what I am saying. We went to an Italian place in Hoboken last night and ordered baked ziti, spaghetti with meat sauce and a large salad. When I went up to pay, I noticed that there weren't any credit card stickers on the door. A wave of unease washed over me (or a splatter of grease), and sure enough, the slack-jawed cashier cheerfully informed me of their cash only policy and pointed me to the bank across the street.

I don't usually carry cash, and I really don't want to start. Showing up to the cash register with only plastic when they only take cash is not a great way to end dinner.

In a related inexplicable business practice, we've also been to places where they will take the credit card, but won't let us put the tip on the credit card. It's only a matter of time before some poor waitperson gets stiffed because we don't have cash on us, or the time or inclination to find some.

Sigh. New York is home to the World Financial Center. I really expected more commerce savvy. I never expected Cleveland Texas to show them up. Here's to you, Dad.

No comments: